Monday, April 1, 2013

Medical Monday.

HAPPPPYYYY MONDAYYYYYY ERRBODYYYYY!!!!
 
I really love Mondays. I really love blogging and I REALLY hate love nursing school.
So, my excitement level was through the roof when I saw Ashley had linked up to a MEDICAL BLOG LINK UP!!
 
Be still, my heart. Finally, I have an excuse to blog about nursing school nonsense AND get other people's opinions and tricks to try.
 
WIN-WIN.
 
So, I'm linking up with http://www.yourdoctorswife.com/. This lady is married to a doctor and does a link up once a month! SO FUN!
 

 
I have a significant LOVE/HATE relationship with nursing school. I truly KNOW that I'm suppose to be a nurse. My 74.5 grades beg otherwise. Ha!
On Friday, I had clinicals and got to work with a hot murse. We were talking about nursing school and he said something that no one may agree with but it made me feel so much better. He said "every nurse barely passes nursing school, especially the first semester."
 
Y'all. The clouds rolled back and the waters parted.
(Nice George reference, huh?)
Ha. Anyways, for real. How true is that? If is not true for you, please don't burst my bubble.
 
I will admit that I suck at studying and that is why I'm failing one class. But, I've never ever had to study before. I'm still learning. :)
 
Anyways, the day I graduated and Benny announced where and what we wanted to be doing in 10 years, I said I wanted to be a doctor.

Well, that idea was changed half way through school when I switched to Family and Consumer Sciences. I loved being an advocate for the patient and helping represent the family and helping them get help. However, as I was interning with Children's, the bed side nurse longing inside of me started calling. And it never really stopped.
 
My younger sister had talked about nursing school a little bit and the more I was in the hospital, the more I just wanted to be a nurse.
 
I graduated in May 2012 with no real plans because I KNEW I wanted to go back to school. At the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a speech therapist or a nurse. The nursing desire won. Ha.
 
I had to take the TEAS-V test before applying to nursing school. You are scored off a score sheet at the school I was applying for. My high school grades would still count and since I had a TON of sciences with A's in high school, my score was perfect. I took the TEAS-V and, surprisingly, did well on that, too. I would be taking the harder road, however, because instead of JUST nursing classes, I would have to complete Anatomy 1 and 2, Micro and Path as well.
 
Well, I applied and was so nervous that I had to wait a month! I got the letter that I had been accepted and couldn't believe it!
 
AHHH!!! YAY!!!
 
Well, I'm almost to the end of the first semester and can't wait for second semester. (That is, if I pass!! :])
 
My stethoscope is the cutest. Ever.
 
 
Thanks to my grandaddy and grandmomma!!

 
And this is my desk. Heck yes. So many books.
 
 
I've also known since I got into nursing school at Jeff State that since it is an associate's degree (I'll still be an RN) that I will want to go back and get my bachelor's of nursing after I complete. I know, before you ask why, the associate's program is an accelerated program that you complete in 5 semesters. I didn't want to go back for 4 more years to learn the same material. It's harder but it will be worth it!
 
I want to go to nurse anethesiologist school after I complete my bachelors and to be interviewed for this, you have to have experience in ICU settings. So, what an amazing opportuinty that came up over the weekend. A job opening (that an amazing girl on FB told me about) came available at Children's Hospital. It's a nursing assistant job for the CICU.

HOW PERFECT!!! It's every other weekend, too. So, it is pretty perfect. PLEASE pray with me that I will get this job!!!
 
Happy Medical Monday lovelies!!
 
 

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays. My sister has just started applying to nursing school and I will have to direct her here. We are all called to do something... when you listen things will always work out. Best of luck as you finish your first semester and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised with your grades at the end of the semester. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining Medical Mondays! My brother finished nursing school a couple of years ago. He really loves it! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome you're so dedicated to following your dream! I could never do it (nursing, or anything medical for that matter). One drop of blood and I'm gagging and trying not to pass out. Sayin a little prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome of you to want to be a nurse! I am pursuing a degree in fire science(Fancy word for firefighter lol.) I'm just not sure how I am going to carry someone out of a burning building being smaller then a man.(I'm 5'2 and 130lbs I'm a girl) I just hope to meet a hot fire husband at of it. lol


    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to school with you and I think you are awesome :) Congrats on the new job! So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete