Friday, June 7, 2013

i'm not a momma but if i was.

I don't have babies and I probably won't for a very long time. I'm not an expert and my opinion probably doesn't matter to anyone who is an expert/mother. BUT, since I started working at a hospital last month that only serves children, I've learned ALOT about child safety just in the short month since I've been there. And, when I received an email about forward vs. rear facing car seats about two weeks ago, I didn't feel like I could keep quiet about this topic.
 
I know, I know. What do I know. I'm not a momma. I get that. I do, however, get emails sent STRAIGHT from medical doctors on the daily and have done over 15 hours of undergraduate research on car seat debates.

To spare you from that 9 page research paper, I thought I'd share part of the email in a round about way. Being employed by this hospital means that emails are confidential. I was blessed enough to be able to have permission to share the basis of this story without using doctor names, patient names or family names.
 


 So, if you have a baby under 24 months, PLEASE, I beg you, research!!!

When I was doing my research, I was REQUIRED to read this 143 page document- found here.

There are less than 100 cases reported of internal decapitation a year in the United States but the number one cause of this is forward facing car seat accidents. It doesn't matter if your 18 month old is 12 lbs or 45 lbs, weight isn't the debate. The debate comes from the fact that children under 2 have weaker neck muscles and certain spinal spaces do not fuse and aren't fully developed until 24 months. So, even if your child if heavier than a normal under 24 month old, that isn't a sufficient reason to forward face them. Less than 1% of children who experience internal decapitation survive.

Look at these videos and read the below information. Something SO simple could save your child's life! :)




  


This is additional information. Of course, as your child's mother, you have the right and responsibility to choose for yourself but please, do a little research for yourself. I got these tips directly from the hospital I'm employed at website.
 
Reasons to keep your child rear facing until 24 months
 


Rear-facing is safest for both adults and children, but especially for babies, who would face a greater risk of spinal cord injury in a front-facing carseat during a frontal crash.



Rear-facing car seats spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a child's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash.

Rear-facing carseats may not be quite as effective in a rear end crash, but severe frontal and frontal offset crashes are far more frequent and far more severe than severe rear end crashes.

Rear-facing carseats are NOT a safety risk just because a child's legs are bent at the knees or because they can touch/kick the vehicle seat.

Rear-facing as long as possible is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatricians, and can reduce injuries and deaths.   Motor vehicle crashes are the #1 overall cause of death for children 14 and under.

FAQ about Rear facing/Forward facing Seats answered by MD's
 
What about squished legs?
                      Kids who have been only rear-faced will most likely not be bothered, since they don't know anything else. And it's completely fine for their feet to touch the seat back, or for their legs to bend. "Once you make the switch, it's hard to go back, so try not to ever switch them before they are ready," says Hoffman.
 
Why are so few parents aware of even the older guidelines that say kids should stay rear-facing as long as possible?
There may have been some confusion with the message, with many parents mistaking the minimum for the ideal age to make the switch. The AAP hopes that by making age 2 the new guideline, the message will be less confusing for parents and for pediatricians.
 
If my child turns 2 before he reaches the height or weight limit for the seat, should I keep him rear-facing?
Yes. The safest decision is to keep him rear-facing until he reaches the height or weight limit for the seat.
 





1 comment :

  1. wow! I've never thought about this before. Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete