Monday, August 12, 2013

Crash My Party: The Review

Well, what do you know. This little blog didn't just disappear after not posting for forever and a day. And, I sincerely apologize for that.

Life happens, ya know. And I never set out to be a blogger for audiences. I set out to blog about my life and all the fun things I get to do. But, if there is like, you know, that one person who checks in here on the reg, I sincerely apologize. 

School starts next week and life will oddly SLOW down a little. Weird, right? No more trips (until my four night tour date stop with Mr. Bryan in October) for a while. I LOVE traveling and I hope to be able to do that for my entire life. I was talking with some friends the other day and decided I will totally take an average sized house if it means I can travel the world. Some people prefer mansion houses and then don't like traveling, but hey, I'm not one of those girls. So, anyways, once school and a routine starts again, I'll be posting more regularly. Stay tuned!!
 
But, for now, this guy has probably the MOST anticipated CD of the year coming out on Tuesday, August 13. 
  


I was emailed by Paul T. with ITunes today. You know what's really cool about this guy? His job is to listen to albums BEFORE they hit the local tarjayyy (aka Target) and review them. And, because I'm a crazy stalker obsessed loyal fan of Luke's, Paul asked me to review his new album. I don't know if it's because he'll know I'm automatically giving the album 5 stars without listening to a word or if he genuinely wants my review, but, hey, either way, he's getting it.

So, thanks Paul. Here we go.
"Crash My Party" is Luke Bryan's fourth studio album. The first single off the album, "Crash My Party," spent three weeks at number one. His second single off the album, "That's My Kind of Night," is already creeping up the charts week by week.

I've MORE than done my homework for this review and I will do a song review, but before we get there, let's set the stage a little bit. Luke Bryan is the definition of country, whether you want to admit it or not, he is. He has the song writing abilities, the singing abilities, the creative abilities, and the hips. Lord, those hips.



I've read a few reviews of the album online already. And,  I cringe at reviews like the Huffington Post who calls this album "predictable" and I want to throw rotten eggs at USA Today for saying Luke "throws the same old party." 

I just have to address these haters for a moment. You may think it won't do any good, but you aren't Katelyn, and you aren't the one who Paul asked to review this album, so there's that.

Ha. Um, predictable? If by predictable you mean I want to jump on top of a truck and DANCE to every song or I want to spend all my dates on a dirt road or catching up some catfish for dinner and never get tired of any of this, then, yes, Huffington Post, this is "predictable."

And, hey, USA Today, if you've ever been to a Luke Bryan party (aka concert) and you expect something different than the usual, then, yes, he's throwing the "same old party." But, your sorry butt can stay over there behind your computer screen in your liberal state and be jealous that you've never experienced that "same old party." Buh bye haters.

Excuse the rant, moving on.

The album opens with "That's My Kind of Night," his current single. With lyrics like

 "All them other boys wanna wind you up and take you downtown
But you look like the kind that likes to take it way out
Out where the corn rows grow, row, row my boat"


it's easy to set a high paced tone for the entire album. I mean, I'd rather run through a field of corn or row a boat any night of the week, and I'm as girlie as they come.

The next track, "Beer in the Headlights," was written by Luke's good friend, Cole Swindell, who is making a name on his own for his writing abilities. This country/rock ballad has lines like "heart beating like a drum, call me the lucky one//I've got the cooler full, you've got the beautiful."

 Luke has said in several interviews lately that he feels like he doesn't have to be one of those artists who will only sing songs that they write themselves. Luke did write a few of the new songs, but he welcomes incredible song writers like Cole.

The third track, "Crash My Party," is also the title of the album. And, while PARTY may be in the title, the lyrics of this love song prove to be revealing a party dealing with two people vs hundreds. Easily one of my favorites on the album.

The fourth track, "Roller Coaster," was also written by his good pal, Swindle. Some of the lyrics of this song: "she's got me twisted like an old beach roller coaster" easily reveals the story line of this song. The beach and love. Ahh.

Another favorite, track 6, titled "Drink a Beer," is the first and maybe the only slower tempo song. It tells a story of losing things and losing people.

"Sometimes a greater plan is hard to understand, right now it doesn't make sense."

Sometimes, all a country boy can do is sit on a pier and drink a beer.

If I could give a golden award to any one song, it would DEFINITELY be track 9, "Play it Again." Play it Again tells the story of how a girl is obsessed with a song and the guy is doing everything in his power to play the song for her. She hears the song, then he finds the song on the radio, and it ends with him pulling out his guitar to play the song for her.

"Oh my god, this is my song, I've been listening to the radio all night long,
sitting round waiting for it to come on and here it is
She was like, "come here boy, I want to dance"
Before I said a word, she was taking my hand
Spinning me around until it faded out and she gave me a kiss
and she said play it again, play it again, play it again
and I said play it again, play it again, play it again"

I mean, swoon. Really? Guys, take a cue. (Aka learn every Luke Bryan song, take me to the country and play me said songs).

Moving on, track 11, "Out Like That," is yet another fast paced song about love. On the CMT special, The Making Of Crash My Party, revealed a lot of Luke's thoughts on each song. The thirty minute special, directed by Michael Monaco, shows in depth, behind the scenes outtakes of Luke recording the songs. His favorite line of Out Like That?

"Feel your heart tick tock while the rain from your hair drip drops."

I mean, sounds good to me.

Track 13, the final track on the regular cut CD, "Dirt Road Diary," was also written by Luke and others. This is his literal "diary" opened up for the world to get a glimpse at Bryan. While he may be a multi-million record selling artist, and a multi-millionaire, he is still the MOST down to earth, respectable, humble artist. I can say this first hand. I've met the stud. He told ME "thank you" at least two different times in the 60 seconds I talked with him. AMAZING.
Examples of the diary revealing song:

"If you want to know the real me, just turn the page in my dirt road diary
It's right there for you to see, every kiss, every beer, every cotton field memory
tan legs and some Dixie land delight, riding round, windows down on a summer night
I was there, that was me, it's right here in my dirt road diary"

Dirt road diaries sound a lot more fun than princess tale diaries or college drama diaries any day of the week.

You are going to buy this album if you love any of the following: Luke Bryan, boots, dirt roads, tractors, trucks, moonshine, beer, whiskey, beaches, roller coasters, guitars, tailgates, headlights, good music, good people, or yourself.

Okay, hurry up people!!! What's your favorite song?










6 comments :

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your review and agree with every well written word! I previewed the album several times on itunes and I'm so excited about tomorrow! I'm like Christmas Eve excited!
    ...oh I'm also very envious of your plans for October!!! You are one lucky little lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added the album to my Spotify playlist as soon as I woke up this morning. I haven't had a chance to listen to it (and won't until after work), but I cannot tell you how much I have looked forward to this day! I love me some Luke Bryan!!! Your review was fun to read and has gotten me that much more excited about my ride home from work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review. Hahahahaha. And tell those negative reviews off, GIRL! This is by far the best thing I've seen in a while. I just downloaded this because of your post. Thanks girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm obsessed with you, first off. Can I just have your life? You get to see him shaking his ass four times in one month? Incredible. I am loving Play It Again. Were you his inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how much you love him. You aren't one of those crazy stalker fan girls that literally worship him but you are a fan and support him. That's so fun. So happy for you to be able to experience these things. Now, how do I get him to follow ME on twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow you on Twitter and found your review!! I would have never in a million years have even THOUGHT about listening to country (#1) or this guy (#2). I loved some of the lyrics you were posting last night and WOW! Luke Bryan CAN sing and he can sing good. This is a wonderfully written review. Luke should hire you. Have a great Tuesday. xoxo, Kari (the newest Luke fan)

    ReplyDelete