Sunday, August 25, 2013

the right kind of wife

I love love.
 
That wasn't a repeat word, spell check. I mean it. I love seeing people in love. I love weddings, I love dates, I love men. I love L O V E.
Ha. Yet my internet goes out more than I do, currently.
Lolz, everyone.
 
Okay, so I know I obviously am not going to be 1,000 guys or even 100 guys first choice as a wife. And, you know, that's cool, because marrying 100 of them is a little scary. Anyhoo, it really only matters to the right guy. The guy.
 
I'm a Christian. I believe that marriage and the want to be married and have a family is a desire put in my heart by God. I also believe that if he allows that desire to be inside of me, he is MORE than faithful to deliver on that desire and allow me to be married one day.

Some days, it's a defeating feeling. My mother was 19 when she married my daddy. My sister was young (22ish?) when she was married. Getting married young seems to be a trend. Then, here I am. Ha. Single as can be.
 
I don't say that for pity, number one. I think that everyone gets married at the right "season" of their life and I am NOT in that season right now. I'm so overloaded with school and two jobs and learning and cooking and studying, I cannot imagine trying to share a life with another person right now. That does not mean that I don't want to get married. Because, I really, really do.
 
 
My Pinterest board probably gives that away.
 
I want to get married. But, I want my focus to be on having the marriage of a lifetime and not having the wedding of the year.
 
I mean, come on, my wedding WILL be, but, that's not the point. :)
I've been doing a lot of reading and studying in the Bible recently on exactly what my role as a wife one day will be. And, my discoveries were mostly things I already knew. I've come to an exhilarating discovery recently, though.
 
Even if you're not in the season of marriage, you can still be praying for your future spouse right now. Wherever they are, whoever they are, whatever they're doing, you can pray for them.
 
Let's look a little bit at what the Bible commands of us as future wives.
 
1) A Godly Woman Always Seeks to be Modest in Her Dress.
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes (1 Timothy 2:9, NIV).
 
2) A Godly Woman Always Seeks to be Holy in Her Conduct.
 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20, NIV)
 
3) A Godly Woman Always Seeks to be Truthful in Speech and Motives.
 
4) A Godly Woman Seeks to be Gentle and Quiet.
And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. (2 Timothy 2:24, NIV)
Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. (1 Peter 3:4, NIV)
 
5) A Godly Woman Seeks to Care for the Home.
 
6) A Godly Woman Seeks to Serve Others.
 
7) A Godly Woman Strives to be a Person Who Can be Trusted.
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life (Proverbs 31:11-16).
 
These are seven biblically proven qualities that a GOOD wife should have.
 
I feel like so many women today have a negative view of marriage. Either a man hurt them or violated them or misused them, and they automatically take on the "I don't need a man" mentality. And while, yes, technically, you don't "need a man." But, I believe that God created us as women to be helpmates. And, if we are staying on the right path of our own spiritual life, we will be less likely to be struck by one of these "dog men."
 
A real man of God will value my kindness, patience, willingness to serve, willingness to learn, purity and trust.
 
The man that the Lord has for me will not criticize my decision to wait until marriage to have sex, he will protect that decision. He will honor that decision as well.
 
The man that the Lord has for me will always push me to the next level. If I want to keep going for degree after degree in school until I cannot get another one, he will not hinder me, he will encourage me.
 
The man that the Lord has for me won't have to worry about competing with what I'm reading every month in Cosmo magazine because my nightstand is filled with Southern Living magazines.
 
The man that the Lord has for me does not have to be "rich" by world standards. My ideal date is laying on a blanket under the stars or going down some back roads late at night with the windows down.
 
The man that the Lord has for me won't have to stop and pick up dinner every night, I'm a pro at pies, ice cream, jams and more.
 
The man that the Lord has for me will have to be a college football fan. RTR. And a Luke Bryan fan. ;)
 
The man of God that the Lord has for me will probably be messy to teach me to meet in the middle. It's okay if every dish isn't put away before we go to bed at night. Your marriage is not determined by how many dishes are left in the sink at night.
 
The man of God that the Lord has for me will have to stop me at every meal after taking a bite to remind me to say "grace." Hey, at least I still say it.
 
The man the Lord has for me won't have to worry about me not knowing what a touch back, safety or roughing the passer means. I gotcha! ;)
 
The man the Lord has for me will be loved and cherished and appreciated. He will not be gossiped about. He will be able to go fishing and hunting as often as he wants, as long as he takes me with me. He will have a praying wife. He will have a hard working, hard playing wife. He will be encouraged to pursue whatever dream he has. It's never too late.
 
 




1 comment :

  1. Nail. on. the. head. Agree with this So, so much! I'm ready too my friend!

    ReplyDelete