Sunday, September 29, 2013

how to:burlap wreath

If you search Pinterest for Burlap Wreaths approximately 9,500 pins come up. So, you can very well see the dilemma I had all Saturday morning.
 
I finally came across one that seemed easy enough and only required three items.
Well, I would post that link here BUT I ended up making my own interpretation of one.
 
My mom's birthday is Tuesday and she loves burlap wreaths. My older sister sent myself and younger sister a group text a few weeks ago asking if we wanted to all three go in together to buy this cute burlap wreath for 150 dollars. I mean, a wreath, for 150 dollars? Ha, we agreed but then later decided that I could just try to make one, since I'm super crafty and all. Ha. Righhhttt.

So, I went to Hobby Lobby and shopped.
 
What you need:
wire wreath frame (different sizes determine price, this one was 6.99)
any fake (or real flowers, these were 7.99 and 40% off)
initial letter (9.99, full price)
burlap ribbon (5.99 and 40% off, these were each 15 feet long and I used every piece of all five rolls. If I were to do it again, I'd easily get 6 or 7 for fullness)
 
 
Photo
 
What you do:
If I was a good blogger, I'd have step by step instructions WITH PICTURES. However, I'm not a good blogger and tried this wreath 7 different ways before I found the way that worked for me. Y'all get written step by step instructions with a final picture. If you need further inspiration, see Pinterest, of course.
 
Most of the wreaths on Pinterest were gathering the ribbon but it didn't look full on a lot of them. Then, some used tan colored "Christmas ribbon" and it was TOO full. Finally, I thought of just cutting strips of burlap and tying the pieces all the way around the wreath. So, that's what I went with. Each strip was probably 8-10 inches long and I just tied little knots all around the frame. You can see it better in the final picture below.
 
When I had about 5 pieces burlap left, I positioned the flowers how I wanted them and secured them with floral wire and then tied the remaining ribbon pieces on the bottom stem of the flowers.
 
The initial "C" is hanging from a piece of burlap that is, again, secured with floral wire to the actual frame of the wreath.
 
I have two pictures of the final wreath. One is up close and one is of the front porch so you can see the size. I think I got the largest wreath frame and we hung it outside the French doors to the living room because we NEVER go out those doors. It's not the best, but I think it turned out cute! :)
 
 
 
 


1 comment :

  1. Way cool. girl! I love how you've grown and expanded, not just in your own life, but in ministry for Jesus! You are rocking the nation, honey! Don't ever stop! Oh, yeh! And keep these groovy how tos rolling..:)

    ReplyDelete