Wednesday, January 22, 2014

#therealselfie

Happy Wednesday friends!! :)
I leave for New York in two days and I am SO excited! This southern girl will not know what to do with temperatures that don't get above single digits for a weekend. I'm so ready, though.

One of my favorite bloggers, Seersucker Sass, tagged me in the SWEETEST blog post today. I'm so touched and honored by her encouraging words. Every time someone is less than kind to me on social media, she ALWAYS has my back and for that, I am FOREVER grateful!

Which leads me to another favorite blogger, Ms. Carly, aka College Prepster. Carly is one of my favorites to follow on all social media! Her life is adorable and fun. She always looks so stylish and is current on all the latest trends. Carly wrote a blog post about being real and it struck me. It's all I've thought about since reading it earlier this week.

This post scares me a little to even write. I, like Carly, have my fair share of hateful comments from complete strangers hurled my way everyday. I've even had twitter accounts created to make fun of me. This has happened more than once. I've had four different messages from people who literally told me to "kill myself." I've had guys who wouldn't speak to me after they found out that it's my belief to save sex for marriage.

The reason I'm a little scared is because I know the second I press post in the top right hand corner of this screen, the hateful comments will start coming. I was getting so much negativity that I had to install a tracker and moderator for my blog. It's so crazy to me how people can be so judgmental and critical of someone they have NEVER met.

I have a really fun life. I won't lie. I get amazing opportunities that most people my age are dreaming of. I put 110% into my work, my blog, and those opportunities. The opportunities I get land me in some cool situations. I've had the honor of meeting every one of my favorite artists in country music. I've also had the honor of getting to know so many of these people as well. Most people who stumble across my twitter or instagram are EXTREMELY thoughtful and kind with their words. With that also comes people who can be extremely jealous and judgmental.

I've heard it all.
"Your life is perfect."
"You have the best hair."
"You're so lucky.
"I'm so jealous of you."

And, in the same breath, I've also heard it all the other way.
"You have an ugly nose."
"You're pathetic."
"Country music and you should never be used in the same sentence."
"You're ugly."

You know, what? I almost started believing those negative comments. I've cried myself to sleep more times than any girl should ever have to. I honestly love every person I meet. Even if you have different values or beliefs, I still respect you as a human being. I wish girls would be more real and accepting of each other. And, I know, we are our own worst critics.

So, like Carly and I'm sure tons of other girls, I've decided to post a picture of me just being me. I don't wear a lot of makeup anyways, so I realize this isn't a drastic picture. But, my eyelashes are like, non existent and I don't think I've ever posted a picture without mascara on. So, here's the real me:



So, as you can see:
-my hair is super frizzy
-my eyebrows are uneven
-my skin is also super rosy
-my eyelashes don't exist
-and my nose is a little big

...but, you know what? It is what makes Katelyn, well, Katelyn.

I'm 24 and I'm still scared of the future. I have days where I don't think anyone would ever want to marry me or be my friend. I've come a long way but I'm still a long way away from reaching my "dream job." I don't know all the answers and I don't know all the right people but I do know that God has me exactly where I'm suppose to be. And, He's the best pilot of this plane I'm on. So, I'll keep letting him guide me and I'll be real until the day I die.

4 comments :

  1. You are beautiful! And the thing that makes you most beautiful is your love for the Lord- that SHINES through you!! :-)

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful inside and out!!! Keep dreaming BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katelyn! The amount of beautifulness going on here is ridiculous! You are inspiring. I'm so proud to call you my friend. Love ya sista.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me tear up! I've said it before & I will say it again - you are as gorgeous on the outside as you are on the inside. You are so sweet, encouraging, and an inspiration to a lot of us, including myself. I love you, and I'm thankful to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete