Sunday, February 16, 2014

chase rice and sam hunt, with a sam hunt encore (myrtle beach/tifton)

There is nothing I love more than country music and road trips and vacationing (except Jesus, of course) and I got to do all of my favorite things for the past four days. I traveled over 2,000 miles since Thursday with one of my best friends, Michelle, to some amazing shows.

Thursday started off the adventures with a Florida Georgia Line concert in Tupelo, Mississippi. I will have another post dedicated to FGL due to the overwhelming requests for both Chase and Sam recaps.

Friday, Michelle and I headed to Myrtle Beach for a fun weekend and to see Chase Rice and Sam Hunt at the House of Blues. The show sold out early Friday which is something that doesn't happen often at House of Blues.

I recently saw Sam in Birmingham for the first time a few weeks ago. I've been LOVING his free mix tape since August of last year so to finally have an opportunity to see him live was a treat. He was amazing in Birmingham and impeccable in Myrtle Beach.

He opened for Chase Rice and even as an opener, I was SO pleasantly surprised by how many people were singing along with his songs. It's so neat to know Sam's story. It's funny how I saw him a few years ago playing as a quarterback for UAB and then seeing him this weekend selling out venues singing songs. Crowds have always been following him. :)





I've also had the opportunity to see Chase Rice a few times and I can honestly say that no other opening act has been able to hold the attention of the crowd as well as Sam did. It set a good mood for Chase's set.

Chase is another favorite for lots of reasons. Chase is fun to watch. Both Chase and Sam are very much doing their own thing in country music and it's working. They both have a style of music that just makes people enjoy themselves at the shows. Chase played a mixture of older songs and newer ones. This was the best Chase Rice show I've seen so far.

Chase Rice is gaining a lot of momentum in country music since I first saw him last fall. I LOVE finding artists that have good, fun music. That is exactly what Chase Rice music is-good and fun. It's everything that I can relate to growing up in a small, country town- trucks, tailgates, dirt roads, etc. What I love about Chase is his "no care" attitude in all the right ways. He's not trying to please anyone with his lyrics. He hasn't even signed a record deal yet but he has almost 90k followers on Twitter.  And it's not because people aren't asking him to sign one, that's for sure. :)

He's making a name for himself by BEING himself and that is what I admire about him (and Sam alike!)



Chase wasn't feeling well early Friday and even tweeted a picture of him at the doctor getting fluids for dehydration but he still gave 110%. You can tell how much an artist appreciates his fans when a situation like this is presented. Chase played the best show I've ever seen him play-all after battling sickness all day. That's the recipe of a rock star, y'all.


Another fun aspect of following the artist's is getting to know their bands. Chase has an incredible band. They all have such great onstage chemistry and just put off a really intense vibe. I've had the opportunity of meeting his drummer, Aaron, and he is awesome! He's a great drummer as well. :)

I've apologized for the quality of my concert pictures before but I'll just reiterate that I don't blog for perfect picture quality but for show recaps. Haha. The pictures I do get are added bonuses. And, I have several videos on my Instagram account from Sam and Chase (from both nights) that y'all are welcome to view. I made my Instagram public so y'all can enjoy them. My username is katelync. Please don't repost without permission. :)

We were able to say hey to Sam and Tyrone after the show, too! Thanks guys!



_______________________________________________________________________

We got up on Saturday and headed to Tifton, Georgia to see Sam Hunt play at the Gin. The Gin was such a fun venue to see him play at. One of our friends, JD, owns the Gin and all of the staff made the night even better. So, thank you to JD and the Gin for being great hosts. Make sure you follow the Gin on Twitter and Instagram.

There were two opening acts for Sam. The first one was an awesome singer but I didn't catch his name so please forgive me! The second opening act was Cale Dodds. He played several songs that I really enjoyed. Make sure you look him up on social media and listen to his song "Preach" on Sound Cloud.

Sam took the stage a little after 11 and once again topped his performance from Friday night. I know I say it a lot but I'm starting to think he is a magician as well as a musician they way he amps up his show a little more each time I've seen him.




Sam recently signed a record deal and is releasing his album in the fall of this year. As I wrote about in my post about Sam in Birmingham, if you don't know him, his mixtape is

F R E E

so go download it. Like, download it here. Right now.





We should probably also take a moment to applaud Sam Hunt's style. If I could enter Emoji's in Blogger, I'd put the little applauding hands here (x10). It's just impeccable. That is all.


I love that Sam and Chase are touring together because I feel like I can interchangeably talk about why I appreciate Sam and Chase as artists for the same reason. No one else in country music, or any genre for that matter, has a "Sam Hunt" sound. It is completely his- it's unique, raw and intriguing. I've said before that I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he is writing a song because he is just that good of a songwriter.

Sam, like Chase, has a great band! Tyrone and Josh are his guitar players and Josh plays the drums. I could listen to each of them play by themselves and be blown away but then let them all play together with Sam singing, and it's just the best sounding bunch of guys in the world. They also have the best managers- Brad and John! Make sure to appreciate the artists you like to listen to but also support the entire band because they are a HUGE part of the artist as well!



Tyrone is actually a really pleasant guy. Don't let the thug faces fool you. :)

Thank you Sam for putting on two unforgettable shows this weekend!! Make sure y'all go to his website and PLEASE see him play at a spot near you. I promise you won't regret it!



Follow Sam on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook!

I also met some really sweet and great girls this weekend! So, thank you to Jenny, Jacquelyn and Keri for being such sweet girls to me!
and a big shout out to this girl, Michelle, for being the best road trip girl ever.



Can I just move to Nashville now? Until the next show, be safe and sweet everyone!

-k




9 comments :

  1. I know you say in here that they have managers but what about promoters? You should seriously apply. You're such a classy woman and not an obsessive crazy fan. I'm happy that these guys have supporters like you! I live in California and found out about both of these artists because of your twitter. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading from China! I found out about Sam through your Twitter. Hopefully one day he can make it over here to play for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've finding this blog through a mutual friend on Facebook. I haven't even finished reading this post and I'm downloading Sam's album right now. Amazing dude. Thank you for sharing. Reading from Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE SAM HUNT!! He's the best. I started listening to him after you posted about him on Twitter. LOVE his sound and his style. And his jaw. lol. I'm in Texas, looking forward to seeing him one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were in TUPELO! That's 15 mins from where my parents live! SO JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chase Rice is one of my favorites!! Love that you got to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chase Rice and Sam Hunt combo is probably the best thing I've ever read! Well done, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG CHASE RICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I freaking love him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg I love Chase Rice's drummer!! I got to meet him after one of the shows and he was so nice! I got a picture and his autograph. So cool you know him!!!

    ReplyDelete