Tuesday, March 11, 2014

dear girls.

Love yourself.

So much easier said than done, right?

I was reading my Bible this morning in Hebrews and there was a sticky note from one of my Phi Mu sisters from college and it simply said "Love yourself." I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did.

It was a simple post it note with those words written in the cutest bubble font that there was ever was with what seems like a simple message. Love yourself. I do love myself, I thought to myself.

I was reading in a devotional book called "I'll Have What She's Having." Amazing devotional, by the way. But, as I was reading, the little post it note was ALL I could think about.
I mean, I blog and tweet and instagram and facebook about how we as women (and everyone, really) should LOVE ourselves. We have to be able to love ourselves to love God. We have to love ourselves in order for someone else to be able to truly love us. That's when it hit me. I mean, I do love myself but I don't love myself like I should.
 
If I don't have just the perfect hair day, I think I'm too ugly. If a guy I likes stops talking or messaging me, I'm too hard on myself. Any little thing can go wrong that makes me not like myself. My love for myself is based too much on my physical appearance vs my spiritual appearance. That's wrong. And that goes against everything I try to spread on here. And, for that, I need to apologize. First and foremost to God for doubting his creation and then to anyone who reads this or anyone I know because I'm saying one thing and doing another.

I think it's easy to feel confident when we have new jeans or a cool new shirt or awesome new sunglasses. But, my confidence should NOT be based on Ray Bans or Free People clothing. My confidence should be an inner confidence. It should be my spirit that comes out and shows my beauty.

Because, by the world's standards, I'm not worthy to be "loved" by a lot of people. My nose it too big, I'm not a Victoria Secret supermodel, I don't have the best clothes, etc. etc. etc.
 
BUT, you know what I do have? I have Jesus Christ who defines my worth and value. Not Glamour magazine or even my best friends. YES, it is important to take care of ourselves and to look presentable. There's nothing wrong with that. But, when you start "loving" yourself based on your physical appearance and not based on your spiritual appearance-that's when you are stepping in sticky goo.
 
Learn a happy medium. Care about your physical appearance but do NOT LET THE VOICES OF PEOPLE OVERSHADOW THE VOICE OF GOD.
 
Our worth and value and love for ourselves should be based off of what God says about us. I've searched all afternoon for verses to remind me of this. I wrote one on my bedroom mirror, one on my bathroom mirror, one on my car mirror, etc.

For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
1 Cor. 6:20

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34-35

God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.
 Ephesians 2:8

Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.
 Philippians 2:15

Light shines on the godly, and joy on those whose hearts are right.
 Psalm 97:11

These are just a few. I found at least 20 that I'll be happy to send to anyone who wants them. But, look at these verses very close.

If we will allow God to love us the way he wants to and we accept that love, we will love ourselves. When we love God and love ourselves, we will shine like fireworks. We will realize we are victorious over earthly situations. We will realize that as daughters of God, we have heavenly royalty in our veins. We will realize that God chose us and he loves us.

I mean, WOW. This is how God sees us. Not like people on earth see us.

So, stop judging people because you don't like their clothes or their hairs or their philosophy in life. Stop hating yourself and learn to accept the greatest love of all-God's love. Then, watch how amazing your life will be. The fulfillment in your life HAS to come from God before you'll experience true and amazing love on earth.

:)

1 comment :