Sunday, June 22, 2014

why aren't you happy?

Have you ever heard of "100 days of happy?" Well, if not, go to 100happydays.com and read more. Basically, it's a challenge for people to be "happy" for 100 straight days. It encourages you to post your pictures and use a hashtag about whatever made you happy that day. In theory, excellent idea. In reality, it makes (made) me wonder so I decided to write about it. As a disclaimer for anyone stumbling across my blog, I'm a Christian. I love God and it's my deepest desire that you do too. Or that you will.
 
While I LOVE the idea of a website/campaign encouraging people to be happy for 100 days, I have to ask myself this question-- why just 100 days? Yes, I know that the backing behind this idea is that after 100 days, you'll realize how fun and blessed living life is and you'll be happy forever and forever.
 
I suppose that's my challenge for myself. I want to exude happiness 365 days a year, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. I want people to want to be around me. I want people to see Jesus in me. And I don't want to get in the way of what God has planned for my life.
 
There is SO much in life to be thankful for. I mean, if I sat around and complained about how I thought I wasn't good enough, wasn't pretty enough or not "anything" enough, I would waste a lot of life. I don't do that, though. I know that I'm a work in progress and that I can always improve. I know that perfection is not attainable. I know that people are going to let me down and not want to seek happiness and joy from God. I know this.
 
But, I don't have to accept it. I can choose to start every morning with a prayer to God asking him to SHOW and REVEAL ways that will make him happy, make me joyful and allow me to be a blessing to someone else. Anyone can come up with a sob story of why they shouldn't be happy. But, please let me remind you that if you still have the ability to think and wake up in the morning, you, my friend, are blessed. There is nothing more fun to me than getting to treat the car behind me by paying for their coffee or lunch. It's SO much fun to bake cookies and take them to your local fire stations/police stations. It COSTS NOTHING to donate all your old fashion magazines to hair salons and libraries for other people to enjoy. If you have extra time one weekend, offer to babysit for new parents that you know for free so they can enjoy some time together. Write your grandparents a card and mail it to them. Or go spend time with them.
 
I'm just saying that there is a ton of things that you can do for others that will end up blessing YOU more in the end, I promise. I've just seen so much negativity and hate on social media and in real life lately that I just wanted to encourage everyone to be happy. To have joy and to realize how blessed we are. Seriously, if you have a car and a bed to sleep in, you're richer than 50% of the world.
 
I'm extremely blessed to have the parents and grandparents that I have. My mother and father are the most Christ like people I know. It's somewhat cliché to say, but I honestly was in church 9 months before I was born. I crave fellowship with other believers at church because of my parent's faithfulness. My father is a deacon at our church and my mother directs VBS. Their dedication to the Lord is part of why I love God the way I do today. They literally lead by example and their happy. No, they haven't always had it easy. There has been very rough days. But, they're happy. They seek out ways to bless others and I pray that others notice that in me one day too. My grandparents are also the most dedicated people I know. I am so blessed by the leaders God has put in my life.
 
I  know that everyone isn't as blessed as me. Some of you reading this haven't been a Christian since you were 5 or have Christian parents. And you don't think that you have a reason to be happy. But, put your right hand over your heart. Do you feel that heartbeat?
 
That's God's way of reminding you, with every beat, to be happy. It's a reminder to be joyful. It's a reminder to be a blessing because regardless of what the world tells you, He tells you to be happy. You're worthy enough. You're pretty enough. You're smart enough. Every single heartbeat tells you that. Remember that. And choose to be happy for those 100 days, yes. But, more than that--choose to be happy every day of your life.
 
:)

No comments :

Post a Comment